26 March 2007

signs of spring


Tulips and crocuses are almost blooming in my garden. On Saturday we had the first thunderstorm of the season. Yesterday I took the boys to a nature center to learn about making maple syrup and maple sugar. Huge flocks of geese are daily flying overhead, returning north in their migration.

This is my favorite time of year. Just when winter has gotten to be too long, too dark, too isolating, things start to thaw and grow. Sunshine, flowers, birds, rain... it's not very green yet, but it will be. Soon.

Of course, there's always the possibility of a surprise April (or even May) snowstorm (or ice storm), but I'm counting on global warming to carry us straight through to summer this year, with no setbacks. I am so ready for spring to be here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That sounds like so much fun....learning how to make maple syrup. I love maple syrup so much I could probably eat it drenched over a turkey sandwich. No joke.