18 June 2007

in which i use Too Many Capital Letters

So have I mentioned how much I hate apartment hunting? Because I do. I really, really hate it. I don't think I can possibly stress enough how tired I am of this. Would you like to hear all about it? I thought you might.

You may have noticed my lack of blogging lately. I'm spending a lot of time on Craigslist these days, and on pretty much any other local rental website I can find. I also scour the rental ads in the papers, and pick up the free real estate booklets from teh grocery store. I am getting to be a pro at scanning the ads; however, there's not much out there that meets our criteria. Here are our criteria:

  • 2-3 bedrooms
  • storage space
  • within our budget (i.e., pretty frickin' cheap)
  • in a semi-decent neighborhood
  • near a semi-decent school
  • willing to give a short-term lease

Does that sound impossible to you? It didn't sound impossible to me when we started looking, but apparently I'm pretty naive. The one thing we really can't compromise at all is the price we can afford to pay, so we're being forced to revise all of the rest of our standards. Like, it goes without saying that we won't be living in the Beautiful Amazing Pricey Suburb, which means that James will not be going to kindergarten in one of the best school districts in the country, but instead will be going to whichever underfunded city school still has room. We won't even be living in one of the Cool Urban-by-Choice Artsy Neighborhoods. No, we'll probably end up in the Pretty Decent Neighborhood, But Don't Go Too Far North (Or East, Or West) Or It Gets Sketchy Neighborhood.

I'm pretty sure that last sentence didn't make sense, but I think you get my drift. We will be settling.

We've looked at a few places so far, and they have universally been either Too Expensive, or Too Small. Sometimes both. Correction: there was one place that's neither Too Expensive nor Too Small, but Very Far Away, which kind of equates to Too Expensive in time and transportation costs. Given all of that, we will probably end up with Too Small. That should be fun. You know, with the two growing, energetic, rambunctious boys and all.

I just keep telling myself that this will only be for six months. No matter where we end up living, no matter which school James ends up in, no matter whether I have to drive Greg to school every day, no matter what kind of freaky neighbors we end up with, no matter how small the apartment, it's only for six months. Six months. We can live with anything for just six months, right?

And then we start the apartment hunting all over again.

2 comments:

kim said...

Too Small will undoubtedly be tough, but you may have good enough weather to spend outside for the first few months there, and with James in kindergarten, at least there will only be two rambunctious boys cooped up inside for part of the day rather than the whole day. Good luck!

Samay said...

sorry for not paying attention, but where are you moving to again? Nashville or something like that?

And after Rochester, any other place always seems Too Small and Too Expensive.