29 June 2006

a milestone of sorts

Today, for the first time ever, James made his own lunch. All I had to do for him was get the peanut butter out of the cupboard, and take the lids off of the peanut butter and jelly jars. He made the sandwich, he cut it in half, he popped open his own yogurt, and history was made, at least in his short life.

I know this is not a big deal, objectively. A kid makes a sandwich; so what? My mom tells me that I was making my own sandwiches at four, so I shouldn't be surprised. And I'm not surprised, really. And I'm not really going to miss making sandwiches for him. But it's that bittersweet idea of growing up, of giving your child more freedom and responsibility. I guess it's not so much the sandwich-making as what it represents: another small step away from being a little boy, and a step toward his own eventual independence.

I'm too sentimental. In other news, June photos are posted over at the Yahoo site. (Most of them have been posted here, but there are a few extras there.)

No comments: