13 April 2008

weekend recipe

I'm lazy this weekend, but that might work out better for you. Instead of writing up one recipe I like, I'm going to link to several recipes I've tried lately.

Carmelized Tofu -- I used spinach instead of brussels sprouts, and parsley instead of cilantro, and skipped the pecans, but everyone in my house agreed that this was the best tofu we've ever had. EVER. Evan doused it in ketchup, but still, he ate it, which is more than I can say for most meals.

Jam and Streusel Muffins -- I was looking for a way to use up some old apricot jam we had sitting around, and stumbled across this recipe. I used sour cream instead of yogurt, skipped the nuts, and substituted brown sugar for maple sugar, and these muffins were totally delicious. The cardamom gives them an unusual flavor, but it's good. Goooood.

Whole Wheat Honey Bread -- For those of you with bread machines (or those of you who are ambitious enough to make bread by hand), this is quite possibly the best homemade bread I've ever had. It's definitely the best I've ever made, and I'm baking a loaf every two or three days to keep up with the demand. Scrumptious.

Roast Leg of Lamb -- This may seem odd in light of our new vegetarian leanings, but our grocery store had naturally-raised, hormone- and antibiotic-free lamb on sale. So yeah, we ate the leg of a poor little lamb (my older son kissed the package and whispered an apology) but at least his brief life was happy. And let me tell you, that leg was delicious. This recipe marinates the meat in a citrus-wine-herb sauce, and it comes out so tender and juicy and delicious. We all loved it despite our guilt.

Lamb and Winter Vegetable Stew -- And what to do with the leftovers? (Because even my carnivorous boys can't eat 5 pounds of lamb at once.) I made a lamb stew, with carrots and potatoes in place of parsnips and sweet potatoes. Greg thought it was a little bland, but he spiced it up with some hot sauce and was pretty happy with it, though he thought he would have liked horseradish or worcestershire sauce better. I thought a little salt and pepper made it very good.

So that's what we've been eating this week. And our tummies are full and we are all happy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm really liking your regular recipe posts - they inspire me to get creative when I have time to cook on the weekends :) I've tried a couple variations on the granola bar recipe you posted, and last night Mike & I made quiche (it's pretty easy if you think it's something your family might like, and you can put pretty much anything in it - we made bacon & spinach quiche and it was fantastic).

Anonymous said...

Definitely going to try the wheat bread recipe. Thanks for the link!