10 January 2008

confession

I pride myself on being a literary type. I'm a book snob, I'm a book nerd, I want to be a librarian when I grow up because I just like to be in the presence of books so much. I took several college English courses, and thought briefly of being an English major. I read for fun! (A trait that is becoming more and more rare, it seems.) I even read poetry.

Yet, with all those qualifications, I have to confess that I've never read a Jane Austen book. I've not even read a single sentence of a Jane Austen book. I've never even seen a movie made from one of her books, so I can't even pretend I've read her. Everyone I know who has read her has told me I'd love her. I know I would. It's hard to really call myself a book person with this hanging over my head. I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

But! I finally have the motivation to start. I found out a while ago that PBS, starting this Sunday, is going to be showing movie adaptations of all of Jane Austen's books on Masterpiece Theater. So I've decided to read all of her books along with seeing the movies. I'm sure I won't be able to keep up with the tv schedule, but darn it, I'm going to try. And hopefully I will succeed, and remove the biggest piece of nagging literary guilt from my brain. Wish me luck.

3 comments:

Jessica said...

I read my FIRST Jane Austen book this year because of the exact same literary guilt. (I picked the shortest one, though -- lame).

Anonymous said...

Mike got me the DVD set of Pride & Prejudice for Christmas, so if you miss that one you can borrow mine!

Anonymous said...

ooh pbs p+p is good! and if youve seen bridget jones, you know mark darcy is based on the mr. darcy. which is a stretch i know, but you may be able to claim that one at least.