13 July 2006

dinner and a movie*

To steal an idea from Kim, tonight I'm presenting you with dinner and a movie -- or, more precisely, a recipe (which is not really dinner) and a recommendation (which is not very current), though that doesn't have the same ring to it.

We went to a salsa party for dinner tonight -- everyone brought a bowl of homemade salsa and a bag of tortilla chips to share. It actually turned out to be a contest as well, and mine didn't win, but I still thought it was pretty tasty. I kind of improvised, since I didn't decide until almost the last minute that we'd go, and I didn't have exactly the right ingredients for any recipe I could find, but it turned out nicely. Also, it's simple, quick, healthy, and yummy. What more do you need?

**********

Peach Salsa

3 ripe peaches, peeled, pitted and diced
1-1/2 red peppers, seeded and chopped
onion (perhaps 1/4 cup? I didn't measure it), chopped
approx. 1 tsp dried cilantro (didn't measure this either)
dash garlic powder
1/2 of a lime

Combine peaches, peppers and onion; sprinkle with cilantro and garlic; squeeze lime juice over all; mix and chill. (I didn't have time to chill it, but I imagine it'd be even better once the flavors have had a chance to mingle for a while.) Serve with tortilla chips.

**********
The movie is one I saw a few years ago, but I was reminded of it recently after my last gender posts. It's a French film called Ma Vie en Rose (My Life in Pink), and it's about a seven-year-old boy who wants to be a girl. He dresses up in girls' clothes, he wants to marry his male friend, he wants to be a woman when he grows up. It's been a few years, so I'm fuzzy on the details, but this is a really touching film about a young boy's gender explorations and the reactions of his family, his peers, and his neighbors to his behavior. Sad, sweet, and lovely. I also remember it being very beautiful visually, too. Strongly recommended.
____________________
*This post has me singing Phish's "Dinner and a Movie" in my head. Good stuff.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i think i've heard of that film before! (maybe from you?). i'll be sure to find it in the videostore when i get the chance. speaking of boys who want to be girls, transamerica is great too (in case you haven't seen it yet).
love,
m

Anonymous said...

Ha! I just made peach salsa this past weekend, to go with some grilled salmon. I think with something like that, a recipe is actually counterproductive -- much better to improvise and taste until it seems right. But I'll be posting what I did; it's been too long since I wrote anything about cooking!
--Sarah