17 December 2006

beginning to feel like christmas

We are two days from leaving for Washington for Christmas with Greg's family, and we just had an early Christmas celebration with my mom, and we have been listening to Christmas music and watching Christmas movies and finally, finally it is starting to feel a little like Christmas around here.

I don't know whether it's the lack of snow, my refusal to set foot inside a mall, or if I'm just too busy planning this year, but I really haven't been in the Christmas spirit much at all yet. So it was a little surprising to feel so festive this weekend for our early Christmas.

Some photos:


The "Christmas Eve" spread I prepared (with lots of help from Wegmans)


The boys waiting to open gifts on "Christmas" morning

James modeling his new Star Wars t-shirt

The Christmas stocking I knitted for the boys

Yes, I knitted only one Christmas stocking for my two boys, because I am a self-taught knitter who makes lots of mistakes, and this was the first thing I've made that wasn't a scarf or a simple hat. Regardless, I'm pretty pleased with my handiwork. I was also pretty pleased with my "Christmas Eve" dinner -- the first I've ever prepared. Just let me say, thank goodness for prepared foods at the supermarket, because it was very tasty and I barely had to do a thing. Also, cranberry-cinnamon goat cheese on French bread? Quite possibly one of the most delicious things I've ever eaten, ever.

But the best part of the weekend was watching my boys enjoy their new toys, and seeing the imaginative ways in which they played with them. Little people riding stuffed dragons, Superman fighting Storm Troopers, Batman as part of a plastic ham and cheese sandwich. They make me laugh.

Today and tomorrow will probably be devoted to cleaning and packing before we leave in the wee hours of Tuesday morning. I'm making no promises about the quantity or quality of my blogging until after the new year. So until next time, whenever that may be.

1 comment:

and rudeness said...

Oh my goodness, I about spewed my soda when reading, "Batman as part of a plastic ham and cheese sandwich"... HEHEHE!

Kids are great arent they!!

Sounds like you guys had a good time and your dinner looks amazing!

Have a great time on your trip and cant wait to hear about it when you get back!

PS. The stocking... WOW!